Welcome to Permission to Smile
How can we turn a ‘keep yourself to yourself’ society into a friendly, positive and encouraging one?
Here’s how we can make it happen:
It should be as simple as saying
- Will they wonder what I want?
- Or think I’m ‘one of those people’ they can’t get rid of?
- Am I ‘invading their private space?’
It all seems too difficult, and so many of us tend to pass others bye, head down, no eye contact. No ‘permission to smile’?
A lack of friendliness can lead to a lack of friends – and:
- Less neighbourly support for those who need it
- An ever-greater burden on the public sector
- Less community spirit
- More loneliness
- Less encouragement and belonging
- Missed fun!
How to fix this?
We need to make a change and that requires people power! Here’s how we can all take part:
- Start smiling and greeting, especially where we live
- Take opportunities to chat (waiting in a queue etc)
- Invite neighbours round for a cuppa
- Suggest a Street Association for our own street – details here
- Display one of our stickers in car or house window – download here
- Support Permission to Smile on social media
A personal message from Sir Lenny Henry
Neighbourhood organizations can also play a vital role as local catalysts – churches, community centres, schoolsMore Information!
Join the friendliness revolution!
Please now sign up as a supporter, boosting the campaign’s strength and allowing us to keep in touch through an occasional newsletter.Subscribe